Tuesday, October 28, 2008

What did you takeaway from our digital citizenship night?

While I was preparing my “cyberbullying” presentation, I learned that cyberbullying is only when minors (child/teens) are involved. When adult is involved, it’s considered cyber-harassment or cyberstalking. Also, I realized that teens can hurt others feeling without a serious intention, but the consequences can be serious.

From “copyright” presentation, I learned that as long as it is recorded or written somewhere it is considered copyrighted. Even a 4th grade student’s writing on paper is considered copyrighted.

From “internet filtering” presentation, I learned that combination of “Weighted phrase filter” and “Exception site list” is a good way to use. I have no reason to filter my internet usage now since my children are very young, but I think I should planning on using filtering program in a couple of years. The first video reminded me that if parents don’t monitor the children carefully, they are free to expose anywhere they want on internet which is very scary... I am also worried about peer pressure when my children grow up.

Overall, it was a fun learning experience.

1 comment:

gretchygirl32 said...

I really enjoyed your cyberbullying presentation. We had just read about cyberbullying in my classes this week. We read about Megan Meier, the teenager who killed herself after her neighbor and the neighbor's mother created a fake Myspace page and posed as a boy who first flirted with Megan and then told her the world would be better without her. I don't think students (and sometimes adults) realize how much of an impact their words can have. You and Katie did a great job communicating that!