Saturday, September 13, 2008

LoTi, My project, and ME

LoTi stands for Levels of Teaching Innovation. It was first developed in 1994 to measure the usage of technology in the classroom. It is divided into levels 0 to 6.

LoTi 0 – Non-use
LoTi 1 – Awareness
LoTi 2 – Exploration
LoTi 3 – Infusion
LoTi 4a – Integration: Mechanical
LoTi 4b – Integration: Routine
LoTi 5 – Exploration
LoTi 6 - Refinement

When I took the LoTi survey last week, my results were between the 30s and 50s, low-level to mid-level ranges. That sounds about right.

Most of my webpage examples seem to be Level 2 - Exploration. Since my target audiences are K-2nd grades, my focus is on content understanding in a teacher-centered learning environment. The class briefly talked about the limitation of using technology in lower grades. In the next couple of weeks, my job is to figure out a way to move up one LoTi level of the individual project. I want to discover a way to enhance process skills and inductive thinking skills in my project. It would be even better if I can use some kind of collaboration work in the project.

During the group discussion, I had a difficult time communicating with the group members. Although I have two years of school working experience, I did not work as a classroom teacher, and that was four years ago. Also, I am not very familiar with the education system in the US because I did not grow up in the States. I am learning something new in every class, but I feel bad for not contributing more during the group discussion.

I want to be a little more courageous and come out of my comfort zone in technology usage-wise and personality-wise.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Erin,

Your post is interesting.

I, for one, actually did grow up in the U. S. and I've been teaching school for a long time, but LoTi has been very confusing to me as well. I think it is to all of us because it's something most of us aren't that familiar with.

When I took the survey, I based it on my experiences at my last job because I've just started the new one where I'm planning to do my project. Not surprisingly, the LoTi level in that school situation was very low because the administrators equated computers with toys basically and actually discouraged teachers from using them. (They were FORBIDDEN to use them during their evaluations, if you can believe that! Amazing!)

Anyway, I think the LoTi levels are going to be really helpful to us as we become accustomed to using them because they provide some useful structure for technology integration that we didn't previously have at our disposal.

TTYL,
Lenrose :)

P.S. I'm interested in seeing how your project develops!

Anonymous said...

Hi!
I was not aware that you haven't worked with in the U.S. education system. From what I have heard there is a huge difference. I would have loved to teach for a while out of the country actually and still might try and do so after I graduate. I was thinking about your project because we are sort of on the same LoTi levels when working with younger children. It will be difficult to try and move those up to a 4 or 5. I really think at least putting the students in groups like you said so they can collaborate with each other is a great idea, and creating that open-ended environment for them in which they can explore their own ideas on the project they are working on. Hope you have a great week!
Katie

gretchygirl32 said...

Erin,
I think you're doing a great job and should feel confident that you DO contribute to your group. The LoTi levels are difficult for me to understand too, but I think you outlined them very well in your post! My technology integration tends to hover in the 2 to 3 range, so I know I have much room for improvement there. I think we both will have some help coming out of our comfort zones while learning in this class!

julianne said...

Hey, Erin!

I'm so glad that you outlined the LoTi levels in your post, because I was having a hard time with them as well. In looking at your project, I think that having kids work in groups will definitely up your LoTi level. I think that most kids thrive on working together, so this will be a wonderful opportunity for them to bounce ideas off of each other and work together creatively. It looks like you're coming up with some great ideas for your project, and I can't wait to see what else develops! Have a wonderful week!
Julianne